A Pilgrim's Progress and other novel adventures

Sunday 2 June 2013

Camera-ready




Was 'The Alchemist's Heir' ready for its close-up?  God, I hope so.

After several serious rewrites (including chucking out 30,000 words to write a different ending) I'd reached the point where I was fiddling with sentence structure for the sake of it, and obsessing about the teeny-tiny stuff.  I could have put it in a drawer for a month or two, and come back to it with a fresh eye for (yet another) go-through. 

But I decided instead to put a toe in the water and send it out to a couple of carefully selected agents. 

To be honest I've been writing this novel for so long (about five years, off and on) I thought I'd explode if I didn't get it off my desk, if only for a month or two.

So, into Agent-land it went.. I think we're ready for our close-up, Mr de Mille.

(Is it just me, or is Gloria Swanson actually pretty hot in Sunset Boulevard?  She's supposed to be a crumbling, delusional movie star, but from where I'm standing, she looks in damn fine nick.  I suspect the key to the mystery lies in the phrase  'from where I'm standing'.)

'Words, words, more words..."


#findinganagent

No comments:

Post a Comment